Thursday, September 27, 2012

What is TixPix

So what is TixPix and how did I conceive of it.  In 2008 I got the idea to start a website that would improve upon the clinching and elimination scenarios for NFL teams as the playoffs drew near.  I worked on the project passively in my spare time while still employed at NASA's Johnson Space Center as a Flight Controller for the Space Shuttle Program.  The domain I wanted was PlayoffRace.com but another person already owned it.  I contacted the owner and explained how it was that I wanted to use the domain and he had similar ambitions but not the time to bring the site to fruition.  I offered to buy the domain from him from him for $150 plus a $100 dollar donation to a charity of his choice.  He agreed, and I made the donation to the MS society per his choice.  In 2008 I launched this website and it has doubled in traffic every year since its launch.  I always viewed PlayoffRace as a stepping stone to a more profitable website.  For months I contemplated how I wanted to eventually turn PlayoffRace profitable.  I had thoughts of creating a paid for app and possibly adding gambling into the mix.  After long consideration I concluded the best use of PlayoffRace would be to try and steer some of my growing PlayoffRace traffic onto a site that sold tickets to the events for which I was computing stats on.  This would certainly be a much smaller legal headache then trying to run a gambling operation.  And so it was.  I would create a ticket website where fans could buy and sell tickets to one another and compete with the monopolies of eBay and StubHub (which eBay also owns). I must have searched over 1000 domain names before I found one that I liked and was within my price reach.  "TixPix.com" was for sale on a domain auction site and I placed a bid of $300.  My bid won.  TixPix.com was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment